Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What You Want Me to Do? I'm Sorry! I'm Back!

[Post title refers to: Jay Z, "Show Me What You Got"]


Ah, where to begin after such a long absence. The song, first, of course. For those who are not Jay Z aficionados (not saying I am an expert, just a huge fan) I should start be providing some context for the song title. "Show Me What You Got" was Jay Z's first single from Kingdom Come, which was the comeback album after Jay's little break-y-poo. And what a come back it was! Wreckz-n-Effect's saxophone loop from Rump Shaker? Check. (Yes, I know it is actually from Darkest Light, but who doesn't want to reference Rump Shaker at any given opportunity? Notice how I didn't hyperlink to the Rump Shaker video, thanks.) Flava Flav voice sampled? Check. A video shot in Monaco with race divers? Double check.

So, yes, I guess by referencing this song I am calling this my comeback! And I got you here by tricking you and calling it an LBC comeback! Which is only partially true but mostly false. Some of the guys and I are performing at a wedding in Arizona this weekend so a couple of us got together for practice on Sunday morning. It was our first practice sine Elite 8 2010. And it was amazing. Everyone was on time. Everyone wanted to be efficient. Turbo brought donuts. There were no tall cans involved. It was like a regular team practice. Too bad we didn't do that more often before Elite 8 2010 (still cringing). Needless to say, practice was super fun and I am really excited to head to Arizona this weekend and have my hometown see what the LBC guys can do!

During the time I have been missing in action, a couple new and exciting developments in the talking-about-bhangra world have developed. First, there is a new YouTube video series called "Bhangra Genius" started by Faizan, a former dancer for AEG. Check one of the early on videos out here. Second, Dheerja and Sulman (Syracuse Orange, Columbia Bhangra, SMD Bhangra) started a bhangra podcast!

I am secretly (okay not secretly since I am typing it on my blog) hoping I can find a way to stay relevant with my old-school writing. To all of you making snarky comments like "stay relevant? you haven't been relevant since 2009 home girl," to you I say (a) stop being mean and (b) insert Drake's comment "ooo, they told me I fell off--I needed that." Sidenote: I don't actually like Drake.

Okay that is all I got for now. Just wanted to say I'M BACK. And stay tuned for our wedding performance!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY this is EVEN BETTER than an LBC comeback. (ok I might be exaggerating but yay!)

Thanks for the love on the podcast - you know we'll be hitting you up shortly when it comes time to talk women and bhangra!

Post a Comment

 
Powered by Blogger